Below is part of the latest statement from Katrien regarding the fresh head coach vacancy at the club.
'Charlton CEO Katrien Meire says the decision to part ways with Bob Peeters was not an easy one as the club began the process of searching for his replacement on Monday afternoon
Iain Liddle reports
Charlton CEO Katrien Meire says the decision to part ways with Bob Peeters was not an easy one as the club began the process of searching for his replacement on Monday afternoon.
The former Head Coach had his contract at the club terminated on Sunday, following the 1-0 defeat at home to Brighton & Hove Albion, while Patrick Van Houdt and Guy Kiala have also left the club.
First-Team Coach Damian Matthew and Goalkeeping Coach Ben Roberts have been placed in caretaker charge for the time being and will prepare the squad for Saturday’s game at Watford (3pm).
Peeters leaves Charlton with the side 14th in the Championship, but without a win in front of their own supporters since the 2-1 victory over Bolton Wanderers on October 21st.
“It was a very difficult decision to reach,” said Meire.
“We had been very supportive of Bob until the very last moment, but the disappointing nature of performances and results in recent matches forced us to look at the situation.
“Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game.
“We have won just once in the past 12 matches and with the January transfer window open it is an important time of the season for the club.
“We feel this is the right decision for the club and I have asked Damian Matthew and Ben Roberts to take temporary charge. I have no doubts they will do an excellent job taking care of the side for the time being.
“We know how important it is to make sure this next appointment is the right one because I understand that this club needs and deserves a Head Coach who can plan and take charge for the long-term.
“I realise this decision has taken some by surprise, but there is still a lot to play for this season and we want to try and ensure the 2014/15 campaign ends as successfully as it started.”'
I'm sure you'll all agree that this all has a tinge of familiarity about it, twice over!
Both when Sir Chris was shown the door, and when Jose was overlooked in favour of Peeters. Whilst I appreciate recent form, results and performances have not been great, perhaps Big Bob was as much a victim of our overly flattering start to the season.
The big indicator for me, when a full time replacement is selected, will be whether the board have gone to the market and recruited the right man for the job. By this I mean, the best qualified, with the right track record and knowledge to make a fist of things in The Championship. If, as I suspect, Guy Luzon is announced - then I will finally fall in line with the doom and gloom merchants and admit that until the 'Belgium mafia' leave Town we will be watching our club become a shiny but soulless figure of its old self.
I wait with baited breath and a little hope.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad