Monday 7 March 2011

MK Dons v Charlton Preview




I grew up spending summer holidays visiting family up in good new Milton Keynes as a kid. They did actually have a football team pre Franchise, Milton Keynes Borough whom I watched on occasion during these trips. My Mums family lived in a small village called North Crawley, where most of the football following inhabitants supported Ipswich or Cambridge United (both a good hour away) for some odd reason, rather than Northampton who are just one junction up the M1. I even bumped into an old colleague who used to be a Luton season ticket holder and now regularly attends the grandly named stadiummk.

I think what I'm trying to get across is that the Newtown of Milton Keynes stands for everything that is shite about modern day football. And I hope we stuff them.

Tomorrow nights game is much much more than a six pointer. It really has to be viewed as the beginning of the recovery of Charlton. Regardless of whether we can sneak into the play offs or not, I think the rebuilding of the team/club really needs to start here. The focus since Curbs departure and subsequent relegation has been firmly based on 'getting the club back where it belongs' ie. The Premiership. I think quite a few have missed the point here. We won two promotions to the premiership, and gained the ial title of 'the model run club', because we had a manager who was astute, cautious and sensible in the way he managed us. The recent preoccupation with getting the club back to where it belongs, has done exactly the opposite, in my opinion, and held us back. Knee jerk decisions have been made, and a succession of managers have come and gone. It took Curbishley 8 years to finally get us up and stay up in the top flight. Such luxury of patience all of his successors to date have not appreciated.

I've been a bit negative about Sir Chris so far. The whole team seem to have lost confidence. I think this is more to do with expectation levels than anything else. Chris will get this right, of that I'm certain. The squad assembled by Parky, to be fair on a shoestring, overachieved early this season. I think we will win tomorrow night. What I look forward to is the summer when Mr Powell can actually start to put his own team together and we can then take this division by storm!

Franchise 0 Charlton 3

No comments:

Post a Comment