Monday 1 August 2011

Millwall away, another goalkeeper and a utility player


I spent my Saturday drinking with my oldest friend and attending the Millwall Charlton friendly. (Which is why it's taken me so long to post, you know your going to suffer when your evening culminates in drinking shots in a New Cross pub with a new friend called 'Freddie the Rasta'.

The game itself was a reasonable work out. The highlight from my point of view was Bradley Wright Phillips strolling, route one past the entire Millwall team and popping the ball past the keeper literally seconds after they had scored.  It was all I could do to restrain myself from openly celebrating in the Millwall crowd.

It's amazing the completely different demographic between Charlton and Millwall. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to start banging on about what a dreadful bunch the home supporters were, in fact those I spoke to were not too intimidating. The strangest thing was at half time when the toilets filled up like some kind of gentleman's smoking club, flumes of tobacco smoke filling the air.

Our performance matched Milwall's, who are a pretty decent side, leaving me feeling both confident about our chances this season and going forward if, as I suspect, we win promotion to the Championship. Wiggins had a much better game than against Den Bosch. I'm still not convinced about Hayes. And hope that we will see another striker coming in before next Saturday.

I'm not all that sure how I feel about the news of the signing of Ben Hamer.  My guess is this means that Robbie Elliot must have pretty much got a deal tied up elsewhere.  To be honest I do rate Sullivan as a better all round keeper. For me Elliot's real strength is his distribution and reaction shot stopping. He is often left flapping on crosses and set pieces. As was the case on Saturday.

Andy Hughes seems to be a bit of a utility player. Able to play in defence and midfield, with a pedigree for winning promotion's with Notts County, Leeds United and Reading. So hopefully he'll bring that good fortune with him to the Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment