Thursday 4 August 2011

It's got our name on it...



So the anticipation is reaching fever pitch in Chez Coops.

I have to say I’m looking forward to the new season with more fervour and optimism than I have done in years. And that includes some of the years of predictable premiership stability.

I thought I’d take an initial look at what the bookies of our great land see as what should finish up being the top six and then suggest what I feel the real top six will be.

  1. 1.       Huddesrfield (6/4)
  2. 2.      Sheffield Wednesday (7/4)
  3. 3.       Preston North End (2/1)
  4. 4.       Sheffield United (5/2)
  5. 5.       Charlton Athletic (5/2)
  6. 6.       Brentford/MK Dons (4/1)

The above is based the odds checker website which shows a cross section of all the bookies odd’s available.

I think Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday will definitely be vying strongly for the two automatic spots. Huddesrfield have Lee Clarke who is turning out to be a great young manager, coming close last season,

Sheffield Wednesday with Megson at the helm have strengthened quite a bit, Megson going for a very physical bunch of incoming players from what I’ve read. And to be honest it is very possible to ‘kick’ your way into at least play off contention in this division. And they do like us, have the ‘third time lucky’ tradition that I hope we benefit from to rely on?

I think, for Preston and Sheffield United it’s going to be much more of a struggle than the bookies are suggesting. Both are relatively big clubs who are visiting the third tier after a good spell in the Championship (and not all too recently the premiership for Sheffield United). 

United’s manager Danny Wilson is not well liked (to put it mildly) by the native Blades, which I think will put additional pressure on both him and his players.  You also have the same ‘big club’ syndrome that ourselves have suffered from along with the Leeds United’s, Nottingham Forests and QPR’s of this world. Where everyone views you as a big scalp and your players may suffer from the heightened expectation of themselves and supporters that they ought to steamroller through the division.

I’m obviously confident of our own chances. (Call me an optomist or deluded).

Of the other two, I really fancy Brentford to be a surprise package this year round. And think they will flirt with the automatic spots throughout.  MK Dons, I’m hoping will stay put and get their just desserts from AFC the following season.

My actual top six, and I’ll probably regret saying this next May is as follows:-

  1. 1.       Charlton Athletic
  2. 2.       Huddersfield
  3. 3.       Brentford
  4. 4.       Sheffield Weds
  5. 5.       Leyton Orient
  6. 6.       Notts Co

One worrying odd available is Chris Powell as third favourite to win the sack race in the division. (Behind Danny Wilson and Les Parry).

I’ll go out on a limb and say I think Chris Powell is going to turn out to be the real deal and we’re going up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment