Wednesday 12 September 2012

It's nearly here...



... You'll have to forgive me for being a bit overexcited. I always get excited about the Addicks taking the field, but no more so than when we play local rivals Palace.

It's been one thousand three hundred and twenty six days since we last played and beat them, back at the Valley in 2009. (Yes I am that sad that i have worked out this fact with several old calendars and a bit of MENTAL arrhythmic).

I've enjoyed (and agonised) watching this fixture so many times. My Millwall supporting mate agree's that this for him is also always the one to win. You want and need bragging rights and a defeat can not only write of the evening for you but pretty much the rest of the month. (If not he season if it6's a bad one).

Palace moments that stick in my mind are many.

The penultimate game at the Valley, when THAT crappy piece of paper was first handed (as I remember it) and us going on to beat them 3-1 to stick two fingers up at their crowing supporters.

Sitting in The Arthur Waite Upper as a teenager with my Dad, with just a bit of barb separating us from some idiot spitting at us and generally looking like he wanted to murder me.

Losing at home in the play off semi final. Steve Claridge breaking hundreds of Palace hearts by firing a late winner for Leicester in a play off final.

The photo copied cuttings from pretty much every national paper mounted on the wall behind my desk proudly on display for all and sundry to see the morning after 'nine goal went past Perry...'

Dennis Rommedahl

Pacing nervously around my garden listening to the match updates come in and chatting nervously to my Millwall supporting friend whilst we waited, post Fortune goal, for confirmation of their relegation. (That particular celebration came back to bite us on the bum).

Iain 'Bloody!' Dowie

And stand jumping from the middle of my front room floor onto my bay window ledge, then letting out a primal scream, to celebrate our most recent match winning goal.

Sir Chris will certainly understand and not underestimate the importance of this fixture. I'm sure he'll get his tactics spot on and I'll have a great weekend.

Ricardo to arrive at The Valley in style and bragging rights coming to SE7 for a few months at least. Charlton 3-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment