Sunday 18 December 2011

Oldham park the bus



It's taken me a while to post re yesterdays game.  I left the ground so deflated.  Oldham did what they intended to do and ground out, what for them was a good point.

Despite the last ten minutes of each half there was only really one team in it for me. Us. Kermogant does seem like a bit of a marmite player for alot of  Addicks and I hear varying opinions. For me he was immense yesterday, a real target man who not only holds the ball up well, but when it is hoofed up the park to him does try and nod it into some areas that make life difficult for the opposition. And he did not stop chasing down the ball until the final whistle went.

We were not dreadful at all, it was just one of those really frustrating days. You could see how frustrated BWP was getting with not quite good enough through balls and he did miss a bit of a sitter one on one with the keeper. I've been really impressed with Bradley's work rate this season, and he obviously has the skills to perform at at least Championship level. (In fact I have on more than one occasion embarrassed myself and shouted his name as Shaun by some odd form of mis identification).  I feel he really needs a goal to get him back on track and ease what could become a lack of confidence issue.

I don't think this is the beginning of the infamous Charlton Xmas and New Years capitulation that we are well known for. I can see Sir Chris being given the opportunity to strengthen the squad in the window for the promotion push. Not that I think we need it. But every little helps. (And an impact player to bring on from the bench for occasions like yesterday).

I was listening to the post match interview with Sir Chris in the car on the way home yesterday. I had to laugh. I've always liked the guy, and don't ever seeing that changing whatever way Charlton's or his fortunes go.  The interviewer said something along the lines of 'being your 50th game in charge at The Valley how fantastically you've done', Chris laughed and replied 'well for the last 25, not the first 25'. Such honesty.

Finally, what a great crowd yesterday. Considering Oldham must have brought just one coach full by the looks of it.  One of my kids schools had been given free tickets from the club, so I sat with the two that accompanied me away from my usual seat. To be fair I'd dreaded the idea of sitting with a bunch of screaming school kids but both the parents and children from StAlbans and York Road school did themselves, the school and Charlton proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment